Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Byzantine Art

I really enjoyed learning about the history of different artworks during the ancient and medieval time period. The art that stood out the most and was the most interesting to me, is the Byzantine Art. I think that this is because all the beautiful churches and cathedrals that were built during the Byzantine Period are found mainly in Russia and Eastern Europe. I am originally from Ukraine, which happens to be part of Eastern Europe, and I had several opportunities to go see some of the most amazing cathedrals ever built during the Byzantine Period. I was intrigued by both, the historical context of Byzantine Art as well as its visual detail.

Santa Sophia Cathedral (above) in Kiev, Ukraine, was one of the few cathedrals that I have seen. Although it looks magnificent in its size and has amazing artworks all over its walls, floors, and ceilings, it cannot be compared to the glory of the Church of Hagia Sophia. (top right, right) Hagia Sophia was built in 537 in Constantinople during the reign of Justinian and Theodora. It was built in place of an older church that was burned down during a rebellious battle against the emperor. The main visual aspect of the church is its ginormous dome, which looks like its suspended in the air when the light shines through the windows encircling the dome and reflects gold mosaic that cover the surfaces of the dome. (Stockstad, 235) The central dome is extended by two semi-domes that are located on either side of it, making the central space extend into a longitudinal nave. This dome area is called the "naos" in Byzantine architecture, and it is flanked by side aisles and galleries above them overlooking the "naos". The large-scale dome built as part of Hagia Sophia "is one of the boldest experiments in the history of architecture." (Stockstad, 236) The architects working on this project stretched out their building supplies to their physical limits, thus emphasizing the spirituality of the building. But the dome was too shallow and extended too far outwards, which caused it to collapse in 558. The dome was rebuilt in much steeper slope and with a summit that was 20 feet higher than the one of the previous dome, and this helped the church stay in one piece throughout the years that followed, some bringing earthquakes with them. The Sanctuary is located behind a crimson curtain embroidered in gold, where the celebration of Mass took place. Only the emperor was allowed to enter the sanctuary during Mass while everyone else was left on the other side of the curtain. The main focus of the congregation was not on the altar, but rather on the beautiful dome that was above them, looking like a window to heaven, as well as on the many devotional paintings, icons, that were portrayed in the gallery. "This upward focus of the people is explained by the Byzantine philosophers as a way to rise above the material world and into the spiritual phase." (Stockstad, 237)

4 comments:

  1. Great choice of art! Just when I think that some type of art cannot surpass another, Hagia Sophia is brought back into my memory! What an AMAZING church! I am so thankful for the reign of Justinian and Theodora because without them we would not have this wonderful piece of art. This type of architecture inspires me to push my limits in terms of thinking outside the box. Hagia Sophia is definitely one church whose floors I would not mind kneeling on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hagia Sophia is a very amazing church, especially the dome that hovers on a "ring of light." I didn't have you guys watch this short documentary clip in our class about the dome of this church, but you may find it interesting: http://natgeotv.com/ca/ancient-megastructures/videos/hagia-sofia-dome-secrets

    I enjoyed having you in my class!

    -Prof. Bowen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hagia Sophia looks amazing from the pictures. I like the sense of openness and space of domed basilicas. I've done stain glass, which is usually found in church windows, and I like seeing the beautiful shapes and patterns when the light shines through the colored glass. I really like the sense of openness with Hagia Sophia and I'm glad they left the windows open to let the natural light to come through. I would think it would form a better connection with the natural world and the spiritual world for some people. Can you tell I'm more of an outdoors kind of person? If I return to Europe, I would love to visit this church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too like the huge open space of the interior, the dome, and the amount of light that comes through the windows. The physical and spiritual symbolism of this Heavenly light and spirit of God. I also think it's so fascinating that without the use of concrete as reinforcement, they could achieve the dome, rather than the Roman coffered Pantheon dome! Both achievements are spectacular, but kudos to the cathedral for creating this Heavenly light!

    ReplyDelete