Friday, March 30, 2012

Avant-Garde

I never knew what it meant for something to be “avant-garde.” After reading about it, I realized that avant-garde art refers to artists or artworks that are made beyond what was known as a norm. Artists that want to express themselves in unique ways, came up with the most amazing artworks known. Unlike those artists that only followed the norms of the artistic world to do their artworks. 

I really enjoy art that is extreme in appearance and makes one stop and look at it for a while to try to figure out what exactly is going on in that painting or sculpture, which had captured their attention. Many artist that we have learned about in previous art history classes, have made artworks that I would call avant-garde. Those artworks are so unique in appearance that you cannot help but be amazed at their appearance and structure. Abstract art is a great example of avant-garde. Also, I think that Mannerism artworks could be avant-garde because of disproportional their humans were in their paintings and how unrealistic the colors were, but at the same time, I think that this is what made art so interesting and unique. Baroque art was overly dramatic, which is also something that I think could be categorized as avant-garde art.

Avant-garde art is very beautiful to me. I would love to learn about more artworks that are strange in appearance and cause the viewer to stop in their tracks and get a little puzzled over what they see. It is very cool when art is made outside the safe boundaries and norms that are in set in some societies. Bold and extreme art is something that every artist should strive for in making. 

No comments:

Post a Comment